The statutory miniminal DUI fine in Los Angeles is $390.00 plus penalties and assessments. The legislature made the penalties and assessments the majority of the fine. There are 12 different additional types of penalties and assessments ranging from $1 for every $10 fine to $100 for every misdemeanor conviction. Those additions increase fines for a DUI conviction in Los Angeles to at least $1,790, a huge increase from the $390 base fine.
The fine structure is not unique to Driving Under the Influence conviction. A conviction for running a red light, a $50 base fine, will be at least $225.
Here is the breakdown of the fines by statutes.
- PC 1464 adds $10 for every $10 of a base fine for every criminal offense, state penalty.
- GC 76000 adds $7 for every $10, county additional penalty
- GC 7032 adds $5 (depends on County) for every $10 in fines for the “local courthouse construction fund” – for Los Angeles and Ventura County $5
- GC 76104.6 adds $1 for every $10 in fines for county funds for all criminal offenses.
- GC 76104.7 adds $4 for every $10
- GC 76000.5 authorizes $2 for every $10 if the county board authorizes it to support emergency medical services. So the total penalty assessment varies from $21 for counties that don’t charge discretionary charges to $29 for counties that charge the maximum allowed under the law for each $10 of a base fine. Not surprisingly, cash-strapped Los Angeles county charges the full maximum allowed $29 dollars for every $10 in fines.
- VC 1465.7 adds %20 to the base fine for each offense.
- PC 1465.8 adds a $40 fee for each fine.
- PC 1463.16 adds a $50 alcohol abuse program
- PC 1202.4 adds a $150 restitution fine for misdemeanors, or $300 if the person is convicted of a felony
- PC 1456.8 adds $40 as funding for court operations
- GC 70373 adds $30 for each count of misdemeanor or felony and $35 for infractions.
- Booking Fees (Cal. Gov. Code § 29550 to § 29550.3)
- Public Defender Cost (Cal. Gov. Code § 27712 and Cal. Gov. Code § 27753, Cal. Pen. Code § 987.8 et al)
- Cost of Home Detention (Cal. Pen. Code § 1203.16 and .18)
- Work release Programs
- Probation reports and Probation Supervision (Cal. Pen. Code § 1203.1b)
- Parole Supervision.
Please call us if you need to talk to a criminal defense attorney in Los Angles or a DUI attorney in Los Angeles.
(818) 921 7744 Please call Los Angeles DUI Attorneys to ask any questions about your case.